Saturday, November 5, 2016

Understanding my techniques-

Recently, I found much interest after my presentation of just HOW I paint my Puma portraits.  Of course, to me it is just 'the way I create' & never stop to think others would like to understand how it all comes about.
Let me begin by sharing that I draw, sculpt, and paint in oils as well as pastels.  And what are pastels?

What are pastels?

Pastels are made from the same pigments used for oil paints.  Pastel is not colored chalk, nor does it refer to pale colors.

Pastel comes from the French word pastische, meaning paste. The pure, powdered pigment is ground into a paste with a small amount of binder and then  formed into sticks. These can then be rubbed and blended onto archivally abrasive ground, embedding the infinite range of colors into the “tooth” of the surface to create paintings. 

Because the pigments have a lasting brilliance, pastel is as close as an artist can come to painting with pure color.  There is no cracking or discoloring with age as oil paintings & their varnishes do.

Pastels originated in the 16th century and became really popular in the 18th century. Famous artists (Degas, Delacroix, Millet, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse Lautrec and Whistler) all used pastels and these paintings are still around today and look the same as the day they were painted.  Amazingly, pastel paintings in the Academy of Fine Arts on the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy (dating back to 1703), are as vibrant & fresh today as when they were painted.  Despite the heat, humidity, and lack of air conditioning, the pastel paintings are in perfect condition & have never needed restoration.


In 1983, Sotheby Parke Bernet sold at auction two Degas pastel paintings for more than $3,000,000 each.  Both Pastels were painted about 1880.

When properly cared for, pastel is is among the most permanent of all painting media.  Pastel retains its' vibrance over centuries if it is properly framed behind glass and kept out of damp areas & direct sunlight/heat.  Glass protects the painting from smudging and it will safely last as fresh as the day it was painted for many generations.
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that is your introduction to understanding pastels!

Now, why do I use them for my animal portraits?  
Because, to portray  the depth of fur realistically, we only need think of the many colors we see when delving into the full thickness of an animals' coat.  I truthfully cannot explain how I know how to capture that depth, -but I do know (did you) that there is always green in blond hair! 

Ask me any further questions at KColmanStudio@gmail.com.  As time allows, I will certainly be happy to share any other details with you to add to your new understanding!  I find that I am still
learning as I go, too.... 





No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro